Brewhouse machines – equipment to production of wort
Brewhouse machine – the wort brew machine – this is a main component of every brewery. Function of this machine is the production of the hot wort made from water, malt and hops using of either infusion or decoction brewing method. Hopped wort is an intermediate product whose fermentation and maturation results in the final beverage – beer. Brewhouse – this is also very often used name for this machine.
The wort brew machine usually consists of several parts:
Functional tanks :
1. Malt mashing & boiling tank – heated vessel for the mixing of the squeezed malt in water, boiling of malt mash (mashing of malt)
2. Wort boiling tank – heated vessel for the boiling of filtered wort with hops.
3. Lauter tun – tank with special sieve for the filtration of malt mash (separation of liquid wort from solid parts of malt)
4. Whirlpool – tank equipped with a tangential inlet for centrifugal separation of solid parts from hopped wort (this vessel may be designed also as an external part)
Supporting parts :
– Basic frame with work platform (excluding the smallest brewing machines)
– Pipe system with pumps
– Motors with agitators for mixing of the malt mash during the mashing process and its cutting during the mash filtration process
– Wort cooler – the plate heat exchanger with accessories (may be used as external part)
– Wort aeration candle – special porous stone in the wort pipe (may be used as external part)
– Electric system for measuring and manual or automatic control of all wort brewing process.
– Waste vapor condenser – can be replaced with the chimney to outgoing of vapors.
The hot water tank and a tank for cold water are usually an external accessories of the brewing machine.
For some of the simpler types of wort machines, some tanks are omitted or functions of more vessels are integrated to one multi-functional vessel.